Staten Island Homes Near The Verrazano Bridge
Staten Island Homes near the Verrazzano Bridge offer the perfect combination of commuter convenience and historical New York City charm. With spectacular views throughout the borough’s East and North Shores, finding a property in this desirable market requires a knowledgeable, resourceful realtor. Holly’s Staten Island Buzz Realty is dedicated to showcasing “OUR” borough, helping clients find the perfect property in a neighborhood that meets the needs of the entire family!
About The Verrazzano Bridge
Residents know the construction of the Verrazano Bridge changed everything for Staten Island, transforming it from a rural borough of farms to a quintessential slice of suburbia. An engineering marvel since the 1960’s, it has become a major thoroughfare for millions of Staten Island and Brooklyn residents. It spans the Narrows, the body of water linking the relatively enclosed Upper New York Bay with the Lower New York Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Incredibly, the Verrazzano Bridge was built in only 5 years and marks the gateway to beautiful New York Harbor. Seen in countless films and television, the western end of the Verrazzano Bridge has also served as the starting line of the New York City Marathon since 1976.
A typo in the original construction contract resulted in the name of the bridge being misspelled for over 50 years! Italian Americans both across Staten Island and throughout New York State lobbied to have the spelling corrected. In June 2018, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed legislation to fix the spelling of the Verrazano Bridge, adding an extra “z” to properly honor its namesake: Italian explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano, the first European to sail into New York harbor.
As the longest suspension bridge in the country, the Verrazzano connects us directly to Manhattan’s booming financial district, captivating museums, and mesmerizing theatrical performances! Owning a home near the Verrazano Bridge provides commuters with easy access to work – thanks to extensive Staten Island to Manhattan (SIM) express bussing options.
Staten Island to Manhattan (SIM) Express Bus Schedules
In addition, with close proximity to many Staten Island Railway stations as well as the iconic Staten Island ferry – homes near the Verrazzano Bridge offer the intimacy of close-knit communities with affordable, convenient transit options that lead directly into the heart of the big apple.
Homes for sale near the Verrazano Bridge have the added benefit of beautiful parks, convenient day care centers, excellent schools, and shopping amenities.
Staten Island is well-known as the “borough of parks!” When you buy a home near the Verrazano Bridge you also have the opportunity to explore the natural splendor our beautiful borough has to offer.
Arthur Van Breisan Park: Nestled on the northeastern shore of Staten Island, this park occupies the former estate of Arthur Von Briesen who served as the president of the Legal Aid Society from 1889-1916.
Fort Wadsworth Historic Army Base: Fort Wadsworth is a former United States military installation on Staten Island. Prior to closing in 1994, it claimed to be the longest continually garrisoned military installation in the United States. Divided into several smaller units, including Fort Tompkins and Fort Richmond, its present name was adopted in 1865 to honor Brigadier General James Wadsworth, who had been killed in the Battle of the Wilderness during the Civil War. Fort Wadsworth is now part of the Staten Island Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area, maintained by the National Park Service.
White Park: White Playground is located in the Staten Island neighborhood of Fort Wadsworth, which takes its name from the nearby military installation overlooking the Narrows. The playground honors Staten Island World War I veteran John Edward White.
Arrochar Playground: Located adjacent to P.S. 39, Arrochar Playground includes swings, as well as two play units, one geared towards toddlers and another larger unit for children aged 5-12. The multi-purpose play area allows kids to play a variety of sports from soccer to track, and a pair of basketball courts complete the set of activities all while enjoying the picturesque views of the Verrazano Bridge.
Families with infants and small children may need to consider available daycare centers before purchasing a new home. Homes for sale near the Verrazano Bridge have an excellent selection of reputable, affordable options that may assist with providing excellent childcare options for growing families.
- Castle Day Care Center – 141 Castleton Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310
- Hugs and Kiddies Early Learning Center – 140 Harvest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310
- Jewish Community Center – 475 Victory Blvd, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Rose Group Day Care – 303 Tompkins Ave, Staten Island, NY 10304
- Richmond Day Care Center – 159 Broadway, Staten Island, NY 10310
- YMCA – Broadway – 140 Harvest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310
Good schools are on top of every parent or prospective parent’s list. Even if you don’t have kids, buying a home near the Verrazano Bridge will place you in the vicinity of many of the borough’s top-notch schools. This desirable location will help add to both your both your property and resell value down the line.
- PS 19 – 780 Post Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310
- PS 39 – 71 Sand Lane, Staten Island, NY 10305
- IS 49 – Berta A. Dreyfus School – 101 Warren St, Staten Island, NY 10304
- PS 59 – Harbor View School – 300 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301
- IS 61 – William A. Morris School – 445 Castleton Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301
- PS 74 – Future Leaders Elementary School – 211 Daniel Low Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301
- PS 373 – 91 Henderson Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Curtis High School – 105 Hamilton Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Port Richmond High School – 85 St Joseph’s Ave, Staten Island, NY 10302
- Michael J. Petrides School – 715 Ocean Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Building Block Montessori School – 55 Forest Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Children’s Harbour Montessori School – 1000 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Sacred Heart School – 301 N Burgher Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310
- St. Peter – St. Paul Elementary School – 129 Clinton Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301
- St. Teresa School – 1632 Victory Blvd, Staten Island, NY 10314
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel – St. Benedicta – 1265 Castleton Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310
- Notre Dame Academy – 74-134 Howard Ave, Staten Island, NY 10301
- Blessed Sacrament School – 830 Delafield Ave, Staten Island, NY 10310
- Eagle Academy for Young Men of Staten Island – 101 Warren St, Staten Island, NY 10304
Homes for sale near the Verrazano Bridge offer fantastic shopping amenities. With a large variety of markets, residents can easily stock up on healthy and organic options, while sampling ethnically diverse ingredients.
Lanka Grocery: Located on Victory Boulevard, the main drag of Tompkinsville’s Little Sri Lanka, this tiny shop is a go-to resource for all things Sri Lankan. In addition to exotic teas, spices, fruits, and other foodstuffs, this diminutive shop sells Sri Lankan CDs, newspapers and other cultural goods endemic to the island nation.
Phil-Am Food Mart: Phil-Am Foods is a Filipino grocery store specializing in Filipino food products and services which include catering, money remittances, air cargo, and balikbayan box shipments.
St. George Green Market: This weekly greenmarket is full of fresh and organic produce, seafood, meats, and baked goods from nearby—including grass-fed beef from Pennsylvania’s Stony Mountain Ranch, bread from New Jersey’s Francesca’s Bakery, fruit from New Jersey’s Gerardi’s Farm and wild-caught fish and shellfish from New York’s American Seafood. The market also offers compost collection and discount coupons to use toward purchasing healthy snacks.
New Parkland Grocery: Just north of Castleton Avenue on Victory Boulevard—the main stretch of Staten Island’s Little Sri Lanka—this tiny, aromatic market carries an impressive array of chutneys, spices, sweets and other delicacies ideal for the aspiring gourmand, or a chef looking to dabble in a relatively unknown yet delicious cuisine.
Legacy Africana Market: Experience the spices of African cooking when you buy a home near the Verrazano Bridge. Legacy Africana Markets offers bins of fine grains and exquisite spices, bulk containers of imported nuts and dried fruits.
Key Food Bay Street: With the Verrazano Bridge in your rearview mirror, Key Food on Bay Street offers groceries and general merchandise, such as cleaning supplies and beauty products.